How to determine what a good travel budget app should look like?
- Manage multiple budgets and trips in different currencies. Travel can affect multiple countries, each with its own daily and aggregate budget
- Include an online currency converter, but you can also specify individual exchange rates
- Editing right to each category upon budget
- Saving the data to Excel for later analysis and be able to automatically synchronize with the cloud. If we lose it, at least we know if we have money to buy a new one.
- Some spendings can be debited in days: this feature helps us see how much we spend a day if we include the daily amount spent on the accommodation.
The great advantage of the Hungarian-developed app is that it is free, available on Android and iOS, and also has a spectacular web interface. It has a currency converter that automatically synchronizes with the latest exchange rate data, and you can also edit each category yourself. However, they have not been found to track travel budgets, the basic unit of all statistics is the month, so if we spend 2 weeks here and 2 weeks there, it is not possible to separate data later on.
So, it is easy to use to track your travel costs, but not to use it to monitor your daily expenses. However, monthly balance to be transferred to the next month, especially if the trip affects several calendar months
Trail Wallet is specifically designed to record the cost of travel and even long-distance trips, like travelling around the world. The app has an online currency converter and can manage multiple countries. On the other hand, it’s a bit complicated, the full-featured version is nearly 5 Euros and only available for iOS.
This Taiwan mobile app is a lot of people’s favorite. You manage more trips, there is a currency converter, but you can also set more individual rates, which will come in handy if you always have the exchange rate at your local currency exchange rate. We can easily get statistics on the whole road, but even separated by countries, we always see how much we spent on one day, and we can even attach a picture to each spending to see later on what money has gone. Trabee Pocket syncs itself with the cloud and can be saved in excel, and also has iOS and Android versions.
The full version we need is just a € 2 one-off cost, but can be really indispensable for a multi-month trip.
And something else: we can write directly to the developers about what new feature we need, and they’re not just answering, but they’re also willing to add good ideas to the app.